Rise

So it wasn’t until @Azyxa was like “omg Alachia. new song. do it” in the WoWcast bindpoint channel that I realized I had been spam playing “Rise” over and over again. He had given me a new version of the Rise remix so I decided to create a Rise playlist with the three versions I have: The Original, The Acoustic, and the Remix. I pretty much listened to that all day yesterday. (thanks to Azxa, I now have at least 10 version of the song)

It’s such an amazing song and once again I didn’t even bother to look at the lyrics much because like Eros (452 plays) I just naturally get obsessed with the way a song sounds or feels.

So this morning I decided to finally look at the lyrics and create my own assessment of the meaning.

You should believe me
And everything I choose to do
You should believe that I'll
Always come back to you

I think this is an expression about being yourself. I think the YOU is actually the core self that is safe and grounded. Believing in yourself is the first part of personal growth.

Life is discovering
The love that we create
Life is a mystery
We need to embrace

The love we create and the discovery I assume pertains to the things we find that make us full of life. That we should pursue things that we love to do. The mystery of life being the discovery or ourselves and experiences we can explore if we embrace them.

In every way
You need to let go
You'll see all your dreams will follow
In every way
You need to let go

“Let go” is referring to fears, inhibitions, or anything that might stop you from opportunities. “Dreams will follow” are the possibilities of happiness when you aren’t held back by fear.

(Chorus)
People rise together
When they believe in tomorrow
Change the day to forever
This life keeps movin'
(Repeat 2x)

When you share that belief with other people in changing your tomorrow based off the messages from the previous lyrics, you rise as a human being. “Rise” could mean increase in personal happiness, human betterment, and/or the ability to inspire. Life isn’t stagnant and neither should be how we live our lives.

Open your mind and see
We have everything we need
Dream or reality
Fulfill its destiny

Despite our inhibitions, all we really need is to believe in ourselves. Dream or reality sounds like a play on our perception of what is dreamed and what is possible. I assume this song is trying to express that it doesn’t matter- the point is to seek to make it happen….whatever that is.

In every way
You need to let go
You'll see all your dreams will follow
In every way
You need to let go

(Chorus)
People rise together
When they believe in tomorrow
Change the day to forever
This life keeps movin'
(Repeat 2x)

You need to let go...
You need to let go...

(With instrumentals)
People rise
When they believe
Change the day
This life keeps movin'

(Chorus)
People rise together
When they believe in tomorrow
Change the day to forever
This life keeps movin'
Yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

This was Samantha James’s explanation as to what the song meant to her:

Nu-Soul: What was the inspiration for the song “Rise”?
Samantha James:
My mom passed away when I was 13 and once I was 19 and over partying I decided it was time for me to grow spiritually. I felt this desire to connect with my mom’s spirit again. I went on a journey to connect with my mom and along that process after working on my music for 8 years I crossed paths with my producer Sebastian Arocha Morton. When I met Sebastian it was totally undeniable that my mom has put us together to make music. That first song “Rise” is about us rising together with my mom’s spirit right alongside us. It’s about people rising together when they believe in tomorrow. And even if you die your spirit lives on. “Rise” has so many different meanings to me. But I have discovered that we created a song that was really needed in the world right now.

0 comments: