Eros

I have no idea why I’m obsessed with the song Eros by Late Night Alumni. I can’t stop listening to it. It just goes in sync with my thoughts and feelings at the moments. The funny thing is that I really don’t know what the lyrics mean. I figure I’ll try to analyze them and see if I can’t put an end to this obsession……….

Eros prays we build our house upon him.
Sees how well it stands, how long we last
Built upon the sand, on the idol Eros.

So According to wikki, Eros, “in Greek Mythology, was the primordial god of sexual love and beauty. Throughout Greek thought, there appear to be two sides to the conception of Eros. In the first, he is a primeval deity who embodies not only the force of erotic love but also the creative urge of ever-flowing nature.” So I take it mean that Eros is hoping “we” build a relationship built upon his ideals and see how long it lasts. Built upon the sand might hint at the futility of this as sand is ever eroding and not something you can build anything solid on.

So when he's gone, can I do what Eros does?
What he does for us, he does for us.
And when he's gone can it be the way it was?
Bring him back to us. Is he all we've got
Our house built upon? On the idol Eros?

Without the magic of erotic love, does the relationship still work? I take it to mean that stage in the relationship where the initial lust and passion start to fade. It’s that moment where you see it slipping and want it back because you realize it’s all that makes the relationship work..”bring him back to us. is he all we’ve got?”

When our haven wavers in the wind
And walls all beg to be abandoned,
Blame the idol Eros.

As with all these types of relationships that are built upon this type of love and desire, they break and fall apart. And you can look at blinding passion to blame.

When the raven calls and all his melodies
All long to be forgotten,
Blame the idol Eros.

A raven stands for many things. It is known a symbol for knowledge and is said to be a Danish device used as a heraldic symbol. So when the raven calls it’s that time of coming to your senses in the relationship and realizing the true reality of it and how it was not built on anything real. It is also traditionally a symbol of death which works in the same way in this line. Either through awakening or death, what was not lasting will eventually be forgotten.

What's left to say but I loved the way it was?
..Cause I said I would, I've done all I could.
See what he's done to us?
Oh the idol Eros.

Looking back, we all enjoy those brief moments of undeniable states of delusion where you forgo everything around you except the person you are devoted to..All that matters is that you can express the passion and consume it while it lasts. You burn hard, bright as long as you can until inevitably “Eros” leaves and usually one of your lights die out or fade.

When our haven wavers in the wind
And walls all beg to be abandoned,
When the raven calls and all his melodies
All long to be forgotten,
Blame the idol Eros.

2 comments:

ҽ๓☆彡 said...

I love knowing what other people are listening to. Thanks for sharing.

Peteicus_X said...

I had a similar thing happen to me not that long ago. Lately I can't even decide what I want to listen to, so I haven't been listening to much music at all. Also, I rarely get songs stuck in my head. From out of nowhere, I got a song stuck in my head. I sought it out so I could hear it over and over. I learned the lyrics (I knew most of them, but not all) and I felt driven to learn how to play it too. Days of this before I ever really stopped to think about what the song meant. After really getting the meaning, I felt like it must have been my subconscious using that song to convey meaning to my waking mind. Like my brain couldn't sleep until I dealt with what was bothering me...and I didn't know anything was bothering me really, I needed my subconscious to tell me. And my subconscious was able to really wrap it all up neatly into one song and send it to me to consider. It was so strange, once I dealt with things, the song was gone. So much so, I have trouble even remembering how that song starts or all of the words I so carefully memorized at the time.

I really like the song you're stuck on. I have never heard it before today. I like this line "And when he's gone, can it be the way it was?" Did the sands shift away and leave nothing left of what was built? Did you really build a relationship of only this? Could it really all be gone?

Some of my earliest memories as a kid are losing things to the ocean water. Sandcastles go that way sure, but I lost toys and things that were important to me when I was little. It can be so overwhelming, that sense of loss. So desperate, there is nothing left to grab at, nothing left to reach for... This song says it so well.